About the PBDA
The Portarlington Business Development Association Inc. (PBDA) was started in 2009 to service the needs of the local business community and promote the region in general.
Through the leadership and drive of our president John Rae OAM, since then we have seen a massive increase in local infrastructure, improvements for local businesses and for the local community.
Around ten years ago Portarlington was a sleepy fishing village and like a lot of regional towns, was struggling. We had no service station, no major supermarket, enrolments of children at our Primary School were falling rapidly and there was no development or future vision.
Step in John Rae as President of the PBDA. John certainly had a vision and a passion for Portarlington’s future and, along with his Executive Committee, set about negotiating successfully with Business Leaders and Local and State Governments to implement the following:
- Port Phillip Ferry service commutes from Portarlington to the Docklands with daily commuters and tourists.
- The addition of a petrol station catered for the needs of locals to save them driving to Drysdale for fuel.
- Woolworths Supermarket, offering a great range of household shopping needs and the employment of 60+ local jobs.
- The Primary School was extended to attract more children and the numbers have increased significantly.
- A new Fire Station was commissioned to be a state-of-the-art facility.
- The building of a Safe Harbour, new Pier and covered walkway for the Ferry.
- The Police Station was renovated to meet the Community’s needs.
- The Celtic & Mussel Festivals became annual events.
- Negotiating for grounds improvements and major sponsors to ensure the future viability of the local Portarlington Football & Netball clubs.
- A Christmas Gift program to help underprivileged families make a difference for their children at Christmas.
- More developments are in the pipeline.
These improvements have been achieved with the efforts of the PBDA under the presidency of John Rae OAM.
Portarlington is a wonderful place to live, prosper and a great destination to visit.
The PBDA Executive Committee
Latest News From The PBDA
The PBDA would like to congratulate the entire Think Fencing team for receiving the esteemed Victorian Manufacturing Hall of Fame “Leader in Manufacturing” award. This honour was bestowed at the gala dinner at Palladium at Crown on Thursday, 10 August, marking a...
Dear Members Welcome to our new Website - I am Ashley Andrew, PBDA President As the new President of the PBDA firstly I would like to acknowledge the amazing achievements of our former President, John Rae OAM and his enormous contribution to Portarlington and its...
On Thursday, the 24th of November 2022, The PBDA conducted a fabulous night at the Grand Hotel in recognition and to celebrate John Rae’s (OAM) contribution to Portarlington. Photography credit: Bellarine Photography Studio W: bellarinephotographystudio.com.au...
The 2023 Annual General Meeting of the PBDA will be held on Tuesday, September 5th, commencing at 6pm, at The Portarlington Golf Club. Dinner, networking and guest speaker from 6:30pm.